Hi everyone! This is going to be a great forum for sharing our squares, patterns, and ideas. I recently did a few more squares that I featured on my blog, so I’m going to share that with this group. I had several people on my blog who are normally lurkers and don’t post comments, write to me and ask questions about what pattern I used, etc.
My biggest challenge as a knitter who’s only been knitting for two years, is getting as close to a 7 inch square as I can. I’ve frogged a lot of squares. In fact, I miscounted on the checkerboard square below and cast off too soon, resulting in a too-small square, which I am now using as a dish cloth!
Lilacs are one of my favorite things, so it was only natural that one of the squares would be dedicated to those fragrant blooms. It took me some time to find the right yarn for representing lilacs, but I found the perfect fit. I experimented with different stitch patterns until I hit on the right one (the box stitch) to make it look like clusters of lilac flowers. The yarn was Lion Brand Homespun. Cast on was 21 stitches; needle size was 9 for this one.
I had some variegated blue yarn that came with my original “Learn to Knit” kit and thought it would do well to represent a river. When I started playing with the yarn, it just begged for the chevron stitch to make it look like ripples. I don’t know the yarn brand, but it was a wool blend. Cast on was 24 stitches; size 9 needles.
I also wanted to represent the fruiting bushes around firefly’s area and even though the yarn is not quite the correct color of red for raspberries, it works. The checkerboard pattern worked up to look like lots of small pints of raspberries (or at least to my imagination it does). Yarn was Lion Brand Wool-Ease; cast on 28 stitches; size 8 needles.